mouseferatu: (bug)
[personal profile] mouseferatu
...why the fact that Governor Palin is currently under investigation for ethics violations isn't the first detail mentioned in every article about her as McCain's VP pick? Not "has had problems in the past," but is currently, as we speak, being investigated.

It seems to me that that's the sort of thing that people really ought to be talking about...

Date: 2008-08-29 09:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sorceror.livejournal.com
From what I hear, the person she fired actually serves entirely at the governor's pleasure — so even if she *did* fire him for personal reasons, constitutionally it was entirely her call. Or so I understand; maybe I'm mistaken.

In any case, I'm sure it will all be brought out into the open. And probably closer to November (another reason why this may be getting less emphasis right now...)

Date: 2008-08-29 09:21 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mouseferatu.livejournal.com
Or so I understand; maybe I'm mistaken.

Not so much. I'll quote from the CNN article:

"Nevertheless, she is under investigation for her firing of a state official, Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. She has been instructed to hand over documents and recordings of telephone conversations as part of the inquiry, which grew out of allegations that she sacked Monegan for refusing to fire her former brother-in-law from the state police.

She has denied any wrongdoing,

But Palin acknowledged that a member of her staff made a call to a trooper in which the staffer suggested that he was speaking for the governor.

Palin has admitted that the call could be interpreted as pressure to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister. She suspended the staffer who made the call."

Date: 2008-08-29 09:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tfbretz.livejournal.com
Yes, the poor Czarina did nothing. It was all the fault of her horrible minister.

Give the story time to percolate. McCain pulled her from so far out in left field, the Traditional Media haven't caught up. Given that Romney and Pawlenty are reportedly furious with the choice, this won't be the last bit of controversy over Palin.

Date: 2008-08-29 10:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mouseferatu.livejournal.com
Given that Romney and Pawlenty are reportedly furious with the choice,

Oooh, really? Got links? Wanna see! :-D

Date: 2008-08-30 12:32 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tfbretz.livejournal.com
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/29/palin_pick_leaves_bruised_feel.html

Furious may be a bit much, but they're clearly unhappy about the way it was handled.

Date: 2008-08-29 11:28 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] drothgery.livejournal.com
I just don't think the Democrats are going to get much traction on this.

Assume the allegations are 100% true. That means she fired a state official for failing to fire a guy who took a taser to her nephew. There's absolutely no one who is going to fault her for that.

Date: 2008-08-29 09:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] josephbrowning.livejournal.com
Ethics aren't important?

It's not a palatable answer, but it does answer the question elegantly.

Date: 2008-08-29 10:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ex-bookkeep.livejournal.com
Probably the same reason Joe Biden's son (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/27/politics/politico/thecrypt/main4390659.shtml) isn't in the first line of every story about him. Unproven allegations do not a story make unless you're the Duke Lacrosse team or Karl Rove.

Governor Palin is under investigation because the Alaskan Republican party is out to get her after she blew the whistle on the party chairman for doing party work on the state's dime. She then up-ended the governor who allowed it to happen. She has been ridiculously forthcoming in every question put to her on this state trooper business.

No worries, though. I feel confident that it will be put in the worst possible light in due course.

Date: 2008-08-29 11:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] goobermunch.livejournal.com
And in all fairness to the governor, the charges are pretty weak. My dad lives up in Alaska, and has known Walt Monegan for years. He posted his thoughts on the matter months ago at http://theimmoralminority.blogspot.com/2008/07/possible-scandal-concerning-sarah-palin.html.

He's a lifelong Democrat who has only once voted Republican in the past 30 years, and only then as part of an attempt to keep Walter Hickle out of the governor's office in Alaska (an attempt which failed, by the way, as Hickle managed to split the tickets and pull out a plurality win).

Obviously, his thoughts carry great weight with me. But I think there's something to his points listed in the comments linked above (he's the poster who brought in the discussion of the officer's misconduct involving a Taser).

Honestly, as much as I would like McCain to end up looking like a fool on November 5, I don't think Ms. Palin's investigation is the thing to do it.

Just my 2 cp.

--G

Date: 2008-08-29 11:28 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sorceror.livejournal.com

1) I bet your dad's position on parents Tasering their children is a source of great relief to you. ^_^

2) I hear the trooper also made death threats against Palin's sister and father. Is that true?

Date: 2008-08-29 11:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] goobermunch.livejournal.com
True? I'm in no position to comment on the truth or falsity of the allegations. But as far as rumor and innuendo go, I've heard that he did threaten to kill "members of her family."

--G

Date: 2008-08-30 12:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mlvwrites.livejournal.com
The fact that Palin wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade and put a constitutional amendment in to ban gay marriage shows what her colors are, regardless of the ethics. People are too focused on her looks and her (lack) of experience, because everyone is wondering what kind of a president she'd make since McCain's health has been iffy.

Date: 2008-08-30 12:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lowapproach.livejournal.com
Don't complain. She's a perfect choice for McCain, from any Democrat's perspective.

Date: 2008-08-30 07:03 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] asmor.livejournal.com
Everyone's too busy making VPILF jokes.

Date: 2008-08-30 12:19 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] akumadaimyo.livejournal.com
Did you see btw that Wizards had a response to McCains anti D&D staffer?

April 2017

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 10th, 2026 08:18 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios